STE Raffle Tickets

Back to Article
Back to Article

STE Raffle Tickets

Conrad Li, Writer

The STE annual raffle is known by every band and dancer as either hard work or pointless drudgery. To finance the expensive bagpipes, drums, and trips, the raffle is an interactive way for students enrolled in the Scottish Arts to realize the difficulties of funding an enriching program. Though a few joyfully support this cause, many of them do not recognize the importance of self-involvement and the sacrifice necessary for the success of any goal in life.

To identify a few reasons behind this attitude toward the raffle, several members of the band were interviewed to explain how they felt about it. Some of them attributed this monotonous task to no one buying them anymore or students “stealing” potential buyers away from the others. Even the leaders of the band are not all completely satisfied with the obligation to sell their 5-25 tickets. “I buy mine every year,” remarked Alex Liang, the A band pipe major. “ Nobody buys them now,” said Alex Halsey, who is also the drum sergeant. Tenor drummers as well gave their own opinions on the economical cost of the tickets which were raised to 10$ this year. “Expensive” was all Aaron Maurer the lead tenor drummer remarked. Though the prizes are better than last year, a few of the band members commented that their chances at getting a prize are nominal at most. “ I never win” said Calvin Wong. Yet, others who don’t enjoy selling raffle tickets ascribed the problem to the amount of effort required to sell all the tickets. Adam Scarborough, an avid drummer, called the job outright “forced labor.” Arvind Mohan, a piper, defined the task as a “repetitive form of fundraising.”

In the B and C band, sentiments were equally felt. “Annoying and rejection” were the only words Kaitlyn Fang could use to describe the raffle.

However, the dancers were a bit more accepting than the band. “It helps the Scottish Art program,” said Michelle Tan. Nonetheless, others still thought that the tickets were hard to sell because of their cost. “Ten dollars makes the tickets harder to sell,” explained Tessa Conrad.

The fall raffle will still be around year after year no matter what people think about it. And it will remain an essential component in the development of the Scottish Arts. Not only will it fund the expensive trips and instruments, but the raffle will also continue to promote student participation in extra-curriculars that they commit to and nurture a spirit of discipline, duty, and honor among the band members and dancers.