Cross Country: Willow Waterhole Meet

Conrad Li, Staff Writer

Although sports do test our physical strength, agility, and reflexes, they also demand intense focus and mental toughness. No sport requires these psychological attributes more than Cross Country. With Mr. Ramsey constantly encouraging students to “be a champion and run Cross Country,” it is hard to miss this sport, which has become an intrinsic part of STES culture.

Last Saturday (September 30), the Cross Country Team competed at the Willow Waterhole Greenspace Conservancy against a myriad of other schools. The Varsity Boys placed 9th at the meet while the Varsity Girls placed 12th. In addition, the Middle School Boys’ and Girls’ teams placed 3rd and 7th respectively. Although some runners in the Varsity were slightly disappointed with the results, they all took an optimistic view of the meet. “I think the team did really well. Everyone did their best,” said Jian Liang ’18.

In addition to competing, STES also co-hosted the meet and introduced the other schools to the wonderful sound of bagpipes. “I really appreciated having the band there to support us during the meet,” Aaron Maurer ’19 said.

The team realized that there were many more opportunities to get payback on their competitors. “We’ll get’em next time!” said Arvind Mohan ’19.